"The President and the Democrats have no problem ignoring the fundamental drivers of our debt. Once again, they have proven they are unwilling to cut up the credit card and get serious about
"I understand the importance of paying our bills on time, but hitting the debt limit is a symptom of the real problem - we spend too much and have too much debt. Democrats would like us to believe that taking out a loan that we cannot afford, to pay off the credit card that we have maxed out, is more responsible than prioritizing spending and refraining from buying things that we cannot afford. Democrats fail to realize that businesses and families across the country make those difficult decisions every day and they expect their government to do the same.
"Every day that we do nothing to seriously address spending, the mountain of debt our grandchildren have to repay grows larger. The current level of spending and debt accumulation cannot be sustained. Without reforms and substantial decreases in spending to the autopilot programs driving our debt, I will reject an increase in the debt limit."
TNS 30VitinMar-140212-4635189 30VitinMar
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- New Auto Plant to Create 155 Jobs in Kentucky
- Google Q1 Earnings Dip as Ad Prices Slip
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up