The appliance combines storage, compute and networking hardware in a single box to deliver a scalable hyper-converged system to meet the growing customer demand for desktop virtualization. The solution is designed to provide customers starting out with a few servers and a few hundred desktops with the ability to simply and efficiently scale-out VDI environments to meet changing business requirements.
The joint solution features LSI Nytro™ 3.2TB PCIe® flash accelerator cards, Mellanox's end-to-end 40GbE interconnect solution, and Supermicro servers powered by EMC ScaleIO software. Together, they create an affordable hyper-converged appliance that allows for simple linear expansion of both capacity and performance. The appliance is designed to accelerate VDI deployments, increase desktop performance and maximize VDI density per node at a fraction of the cost and complexity associated with traditional SAN-based storage infrastructures.
To demonstrate the benefits of the solution, the widely accepted Login VSI benchmark was used to create the actual workload of simulated users. Internal test results showed key customer benefits, including:
• Ultrabook-like user experience – support for 1,000 desktops with average user response times of < 1 second• Rapid desktop provisioning – deployment of 1,000 virtual desktops in 1 hour, 28 minutes• High performance – simultaneously boots 1,000 virtual desktops in 12 minutes• Linear scalability and easy sizing – supports up to 167 desktops per server node• Affordable flash solution – price per desktop of an entry-level business PC• Reduced TCO – low-cost project implementation and efficient management and maintenance
"VDI is a demanding environment for storage, and LSI Nytro flash cards are the perfect answer," said
• "There is an increasing demand from customers for a new model to manage and scale a combined architecture of compute and storage that is driven by the need for extreme scale and simplified operations," said
• "Supermicro WIO server building blocks offer flexibility and rich feature sets for developing scale-out systems such as the VDI solutions optimized for EMC ScaleIO," said
• "Maximizing the number of virtual desktops per server while providing real-time response to mobile users is essential to build an efficient VDI infrastructure that meets enterprise business needs," said
• "We are proud to have a diverse set of ecosystem partners such as EMC, LSI and Supermicro, who continue to innovate with VMware solutions, including VMware Horizon View™," said
LSI and Supermicro are demonstrating the hyper-converged VDI appliance in booth #421 at VMware Partner Exchange 2014 taking place this week at the
The VDI appliance is immediately available from Supermicro and its worldwide network of channel partners. More information on LSI flash storage solutions is available at http://go.lsi.com/acceleration.
LSI, the LSI & Design logo, Storage.Networking.Accelerated. and Nytro are trademarks or registered trademarks of
All other brand or product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
CONTACT: For more information, contact:
Brian Garabedian LSI Corporation408-433-8253 email@example.com