This year's data marks a milestone in the changing retirement landscape. For the first time in the more than three decades since Pensions & Investments began tracking the largest U.S. retirement plans, not a single corporate name appears in the ranking of the 10 largest defined benefit pension plans.
Overall this year, 32.1% of all assets in the top 1,000 plans and 26.5% of the top 200 were in defined contribution plans.
The Federal Retirement Thrift Savings Plan, California Public Employees' (CalPERS), California State Teachers' (CalSTRS),
The largest corporate plan in the survey was
The Top 200 plans hold 72.6% of the total assets among the largest 1,000.
Pensions & Investments' 1,000 largest U.S. retirement funds issue includes rankings of the largest retirement plans by size and an additional 40 rankings by investment strategy, type of plan and other categories.
The latest data from the P&I 1,000 survey is now in the
"While significant gains in equities helped retirement assets reach an all-time high, defined contribution plans continued to grow at a faster pace," says
"Within defined contribution plans, target-date assets continued to grow at a brisk pace, but since they account for less than 15% of total assets, there is still plenty of room for continued growth," he added.
The data for the Top 1,000 retirement funds are compiled through a rigorous process of detailed surveys completed by the funds, as well as research by P&I editors and reporters.
Keywords for this news article include: Investment and Finance, Pensions & Investments.
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction