Antibodies directed at Pfs25 can block transmission of the malaria parasite from mosquitoes to humans by preventing the parasite from developing in the mosquito. In preclinical models, purified plant-derived virus-like particles containing Pfs25, in combination with the adjuvant Alhydrogel®, have been shown to induce antibodies that effectively block infection of mosquitoes that have fed on an infectious blood meal. If these results can be reproduced in humans, the vaccine approach may provide a strategy to interrupt malaria transmission and thereby contribute to reduction of the P. falciparum disease burden.
"Entering this clinical trial is an important milestone," said Dr. Yusibov, Executive Director of FhCMB. "We have moved targets from molecular engineering all the way through to pilot scale manufacturing in plants under good manufacturing practices and evaluation in a Phase 1 clinical trial."
Development of this malaria TBV is an effort to improve global health by supporting the development of critical platform technologies for delivering vaccines to malaria-endemic countries. As part of the planned collaboration strategy, FhCMB, the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative (MVI) and Accelovance entered into an agreement to conduct a Phase 1 clinical trial.
"We are excited to see this promising new vaccine approach advance to clinical testing," says
This Phase 1 clinical trial was initiated in early November and is being conducted by Accelovance. About
Keywords for this news article include: Antibodies, Immunology, Blood Proteins, Immunoglobulins,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter