The news reporters obtained a quote from the research, "Two members of this series, PmScO3 and EuScO3, are, however, not suitable for substrate applications. Because the pseudo-cubic lattice parameters between neighbouring REScO3 compounds decrease with rising atomic number of the RE in about 0.01 angstrom steps, the unsuitability of PmScO3 (radioactivity) and EuScO3 (incompatibility with Si) causes an interruption in this lattice spacing sequence. To replace them, solid solutions of their adjacent rare-earth scandates, i.e., (Nd0.5Sm0.5)ScO3 and (Sm0.5Gd0.5)ScO3, were grown by the Czochralski method. Their average pseudo-cubic lattice parameters of 3.9979 angstrom and 3.9784 angstrom are very close to those of PmScO3 and EuScO3, respectively, and they show very low segregation."
According to the news reporters, the research concluded: "These qualities make these solid solutions excellent substitutes for PmScO3 and EuScO3."
For more information on this research see: Growth and Investigation of Nd1-xSmxScO3 and Sm1-xGdxScO3 Solid-Solution Single Crystals. Acta Physica Polonica A, 2013;124(2):295-300. Acta Physica Polonica A can be contacted at: Polish Acad Sciences Inst Physics, Al Lotnikow 32-46, Pl-02-668
Our news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11