WASHINGTON: Bitcoin was hit by attacks from unknown hackers sending "mutated" lines of code into the program that runs the virtual currency, a Bitcoin spokeswoman said yesterday.
The attacks are responsible for problems experienced by two bitcoin exchanges that caused them to temporarily halt withdrawals.
Yesterday, Slovenia-based Bitstamp halted withdrawals, a day after Mt Gox did so. - Reuters
(c) 2014 Independent Newspapers (Pty) Limited. All rights strictly reserved. Provided by Syndigate.info, an Albawaba.com company
Original headline: Hackers cause snags for Bitcoin
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation