Health information is often a target for malicious activity and 61 percent of global healthcare organizations surveyed have experienced a security related incident in the form of a security breach, data loss, or unplanned downtime at least once in the past 12 months.
Based on estimates from health IT executives in the
Providers acknowledge there is more work to be done. Less than one-in-three respondents (27 percent) believe their organization is fully prepared to ensure continuous availability of ePHI during unplanned outages, disaster recovery, or emergency mode operations. And, once an emergency has passed, only 50 percent of respondents are confident in their organization's ability to restore 100 percent of the data required by SLAs. More than half (56 percent) would need eight hours or more to restore 100 percent of the data. The majority - 82 percent - say their technology infrastructure is not fully prepared for a disaster recovery incident.
Recognizing the importance of trusted IT solutions, organizations plan to focus on encryption of protected health information (55 percent); complying with the security risk analysis EMR Meaningful Use requirements (54 percent); and breach prevention and detection (44 percent).
"Healthcare organizations are making significant IT investments to transform IT infrastructure and ensure that patient information is secure, protected, and highly available," says
Keywords for this news article include: MeriTalk, Information Technology, Information and Data Loss and Recovery.
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction