Some 3,921 farmers in Phetchabun,
Farmers who sold rice to the government in October have all received their money, and 61 percent of those who joined the scheme in November have been also paid. Meanwhile, most farmers who sold their rice in December and January have not been paid yet, Niwatthamrong was quoted by the
Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday pledged to pay farmers for their rice, adding that her government is able to seek loans under the current fiscal status, and blaming the overdue payments on legal limitations.
Caretaker Finance Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong said several commercial banks have expressed their interest in providing loans to pay farmers.
The overdue payment has resulted in a spending and consumption slowdown in Thai agricultural sector, said Kirida Phaophichit, a senior
Hundreds of Thai farmers have been camping outside the
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?