Companies in the shipping industry and port authorities are seeking to resolve the challenges that
Ports are an important trade channel for South Africa‚ with up to 80% of trade between
TNPA has said it needs the hike to fund its R2.4bn capital expenditure in 2014/15. The proposed tariffs are effective from April‚ the start of the Transnet's financial year.
Port tariffs remain a challenge
"If we want to have global shipping companies using our ports then we have got to be competitive from a pricing point of view‚" Jacobs said.
He said challenges with port tariffs were not just a South African issue but a global one. Despite the challenges over tariffs‚ local port authorities consulting shipping companies about tariffs and other issues.
Analysts said with the global economic conditions starting to improve‚
SA's transport infrastructure still makes it an attractive option for international companies. Image: South Africa GuideCoface South Africa's lead analyst Saijil Singh said there were contenders to
"The Western world is now increasingly looking at countries like
Economic growth is also higher in many other African countries than it is in
Economic growth in
Jacobs said port activity in countries including Mozambique‚
The links allowed for goods to be speedily delivered from ports to inland destinations. "
Transnet‚ the parastatal responsible for ports and rail‚ was not available for comment.
All rights reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy