IT, Auto, Teck and consumer durable sector attracted good buying interest while shares from power, realty and oil & gas segments fell due to profit-booking from operators.
However, petrochem giant and among the top heavyweight,
The Sensex opened higher and remained in positive terrain throughout the day in a narrow range before before settling at 20,363.37, showing a gain of 29.10 points of 0.14 per cent.
The NSE 50-share CNX Nifty also moved up by 9.25 points or 0.15 per cent to end at 6,062.70.
Meanwhile, country's exports increased 3.79 pct while imports declined 18.07 pct in January, helping the trade deficit to narrow following drop in gold and silver imports.
Asian stocks ended higher before US Federal Reserve Chairman
European markets were also trading higher as indices in
In all 15 scrips from the 30-share sensex-pack closed in the green while others ended in the red. Other major gainers were
Among S&P BSE Sectoral indices, IT rose by 0.99 pct, Auto by 0.77 pct and Teck by 0.74 pct while Power declined by 1.02 pct and Oil&Gas by 0.58 pct.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1,370 stocks losing ground while 1,266 that finishing with gains.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- FedEx Sued Over Deadly California Bus Crash
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter