The JSE Top40 index added 1.33 percent to 41 321.02 and the broader all share index was up 1.28 percent at 45 920.87.
Gold rose yesterday after a weak US jobs report last week raised questions over the US economic recovery, which could potentially slow the pace of the Federal Reserve's stimulus tapering.
The prospects of easy US monetary policy staying in place longer than expected has also helped direct some of the excess liquidity out there back into emerging markets, which is positive for
The US jobs data, according Mpumi Bomvana, a trader at Sanlam Private Investments, "lifted the mood in eastern markets and our market followed suit".
The top platinum producers -
Investors were betting that the expected supply crunch of the precious metal would propel prices higher and benefit producers because they have ample above-ground supplies in the pipeline to meet orders, at least for now. A weaker rand has also boosted the price of platinum in the local currency.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Fuentes Makes NAHREP's Top 10 List
- Social Media Can Help a Company's Credit Line
- Hispanic Unemployment Eased in February
- Boeing Freezes Nonunion Workers' Pensions
- Juanes Back to Singing About Love
- Goya Nutritionist Answers Demand for Healthy Hispanic Dishes
- Ukraine Crisis Sets U.S. Stocks Adrift
- Alfredo Ramos Martínez, Mexican Muralist, Symposium at Scripps