More than 60 additional pieces of art – including works by Picasso, Renoir and Monet – have been discovered in the Austrian home of a reclusive elderly German art collector who was revealed last year to be in possession of hundreds of paintings thought to have been stolen by the Nazis.
A spokesman for Cornelius Gurlitt said the works of art had been discovered in the collector's
He said after a first inspection that there was no indication that any of the newly-discovered works were plundered by the Nazis – either by being stolen from their Jewish owners or bought from them cheaply under duress.
"At the request of Cornelius Gurlitt, the works are being examined by experts on whether they include possibly stolen art," the statement said. "A preliminary assessment based on an initial screening did not substantiate such a suspicion."
The Gurlitt case first made headlines late last year when it emerged investigators had found 1,400 artworks in his
Gurlitt, 81, is the son of Hildebrand Gurlitt, described by
The German authorities have been criticised for dragging their feet on the case. Although the works were discovered in early 2012, the spectacular find only became known to the public late last year through a news magazine report.
According to the dpa news agency, the latest discovery came to light after Gurlitt's caretaker ordered the works top be stored securely as a precaution against break-ins and theft.
Gurlitt's spokesman said that "more works were located in Cornelius Gurlitt's house in
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Arriola Takes Charge at SoCalGas
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday