In the past, Hwange has secured different lines of credit including the
The board had indicated it wanted to recapitalise the company to the tune of U$40 million in the short to medium term. The source said the acquisition of the new equipment would help the country's largest coal miner to raise production to about 250 000 per month from the current output of 140 000 tonnes by year end. All in all, the mine will produce 450 000 tonnes in addition to what the contractor is expected to produce.
In December last year
According to the agreement,
Under most contract mining agreements, the contract miner is generally responsible for providing all equipment, financing its operation, internal mine capital needs, employee salaries and benefits and all other requirements associated with an independent business.
"By year end, Hwange should be able to produce close to half a million tonnes of coal per month but with local coal supply on the rise, the company has to focus on export markets and beneficiation," said the source.
No comment could be obtained from Hwange chairman Mr Farai Mtangamira who was said to be out of the country. Acting managing director Mr Jemester Chininga could also not be reached for a comment.
Hwange is operating below capacity, largely due to production inefficiencies associated with the use of old machinery, shortage of working capital and skilled labour force. Analysts say the company should vigorously pursue export markets in light of increased local production by other players against dwindling demand, particularly from the manufacturing sector.
The decline in capacity utilisation by most companies, especially those uses coal for energy requirements has resulted in less coal demand.
Between January and October last year,
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness
- GOP 2016 Hopefuls Face Off at CPAC
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Daylight Savings Time Comes This Weekend
- Heavy Sanctions on Russia Could Backfire on West
- Lindsay Lohan, Jimmy Fallon Get Soaked on 'The Tonight Show': Watch