- Computationally based PoinTar platform represents key milestone in program designed to address unmet need for new modes of action for herbicides -
Crop losses from weeds are estimated to reach more than
Evogene’s herbicide discovery program, initiated in 2012 within the Company’s ag-chemical operations, is addressing this unmet need for new herbicide modes of action through the development of computationally-based platforms integrating predictive biology and chemistry.
The launch of the PoinTar platform is the first key milestone in the program. An important feature of the new platform, in addition to the predictive discovery of potential targets, is the ability to prioritize the resulting predictions for proteins on the basis of structural information such as ‘drugability’, that is the ability of the predicted target to interact with a chemical molecule. In addition, PoinTar is able to identify non-coding RNAs as potential targets, adding a substantial new class of overlooked molecules to the discovery process. The combination of these two computationally based features is anticipated to provide a unique and effective target discovery capability.
The remaining key development milestone for the establishment of
“Our on-going herbicide discovery program rests on our two core infrastructure assets – our extensive and proprietary computational capabilities for data integration and analysis, and our deep predictive understanding of how plants work at the genomic level,” said
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" relating to future events. These statements may be identified by words such as "may",“expects”, "intends", “anticipates”, “plans”, “believes”, “scheduled”, “estimates” or words of similar meaning. Such statements are based on current expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions, describe opinions about future events, involve certain risks and uncertainties which are difficult to predict and are not guarantees of future performance. Therefore, actual future results, performance or achievements of
Director, Public and Investor Relations
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks