ISTANBUL (CIHAN)- Foreign exchange deposits in Batman province increased dramatically in 2013 over the previous year and totaled
The BDDK report reveals that the foreign exchange deposits of companies in Batman increased by 1,714 percent in 2013 year-on-year in Turkish lira and that Batman was ranked ninth among all provinces in
While the source of the significant increase in foreign exchange deposits in Batman remains unknown, it has been speculated that the central bank has injected billions of dollars into the markets to prevent the rapid depreciation of the Turkish lira.
When personal foreign exchange deposits are included, Batman's reserves increased by 440 percent in 2013 compared to the previous year and totaled TL 1.63 billion when the US dollar's 23 percent appreciation against Turkish lira is taken into consideration.
The BDDK report reveals that there was an increase of
The most significant increases in terms of foreign exchange reserves were recorded in Kastamonu, with an 89 percent increase, and
In regards to the significant increase in foreign exchange reserves, the head of the
According to the HabertÜrk daily, sources from the
In 2012, TPAO discovered oil reserves in the southeastern provinces of Batman and Diyarbakir. TPAO and Anglo-French oil and gas company Perenco had been jointly conducting exploration activities at the Kedil 1 oilfield located near the
The amount of Batman's foreign exchange reserves in 2013 equals the amount of investment incentives the province received in past nine years. In 2005-2013 Batman had received TL 858 million in investment incentives.
According to BDDK figures, Turkish firms' foreign exchange deposits increased by 50 percent totaling
(Cihan/Today's Zaman) CIHAN
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March