Wildlife protection in
In a statement, Ol Pejeta said that while the Aerial Ranger surpassed all expectations during its two-week African safari, there is still some way to go before it makes a regular appearance.
US auto-pilot maker
"To avoid the need for Ol Pejeta to employ full time pilots and engineers,
"While the sensors are tweaked, the screws tightened and the wires adjusted, wildlife conservationists everywhere can prepare themselves for a revolution," said Ol Pejeta's Public Relations and Marketing Manager Ms
Drones are best known for their use mainly for military purposes, but UAVs have also been deployed for peaceful purposes such as security surveillance in wildlife sanctuaries and in large industrial firms.
DEPLETION OF ENDANGERED SPECIES
The idea to launch a pilotless drone was mooted a year ago and about Sh3 million raised via crowd funding where wildlife lovers across the world contributed cash for the project.
This followed an increase in elephant and rhino deaths in
"The entire operation could then be commandeered from the air directing security officers on foot. While it gross reduces costs of patrolling the 52,000 acre conservancy, the images recorded could also be produced in court as evidence against suspected poachers upon arrest. The deterrent factor alone could have a significant impact on poaching incidents," said a statement from the conservancy.
The drone once launched will also open up virtual safaris to billions of people worldwide at a fee.
Most Popular Stories
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver