WASHINGTON , Jan. 31 -- The ranking Republican member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee , issued the following news release: U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the senior Republican on the Senate education committee, and House Education and the Workforce Committee Chairman John Kline (R-Minn.) issued the following joint statement after the Government Accountability Office (GAO) released a report on federal student loan interest rates: "Today's GAO report makes it clear that Congress was exactly right to tie student loan interest rates to market rates, because that is the fairest way to ensure the loans don't overcharge either students or taxpayers. The Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act cut interest rates for undergraduate loans nearly in half and made all student loans cheaper, simpler and more certain." The Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act (also known as the Smarter Solutions for Students Act) included a provision directing the GAO to provide information on issues related to the cost of federal student loans. Specifically, the report was intended to help members of Congress determine whether there was an ideal federal student loan interest rate that would ensure the government could cover Direct Loan costs without generating excess revenue. To read the full report, entitled "Borrower Interest Rates Cannot Be Set in Advance to Precisely and Consistently Balance Federal Revenues and Costs," click here( http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-234 ). TNS 30FurigayJof -140201-4623028 30FurigayJof
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- JLo Turns the Tables in New Vid: 'I Luh Ya Papi'
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?