"Starting at midnight, it will be necessary to dial area code 270 as well as the seven-digit local number in order to complete a local call in area code 270,"
Ten-digit dialing is necessary because area code 364 is being overlaid on the same geographic area as the current area code 270.
The first numbers using area code 364 may be assigned beginning
Even when area code 364 goes into use, the vast majority of residential and business phone numbers in the area will continue to use area code 270. Only some new customers and those who wish to switch to the new area code will have 364 numbers.
"All current area code 270 number will stay the same when the new area code becomes effective," Armstrong said. "Only the dialing pattern is changing."
Area code 364 was created in
The overlay option is the least disruptive for all customers and imposes the smallest cost on businesses in the area, the PSC said in its order creating area code 364. This is the first area code in
Dialing 1 for local calls is not necessary with the overlay. Local calls will not become long-distance calls.
Area cod e overlays have become the preferred method for creating new area codes nationwide. They pose the fewest technical issues for telecommunications providers.
All records in the area code case are available on the PSC website, psc.ky.gov. The case number is 2012-00129.
CC 24CCPandaSan-140201-4622699 24CCPandaSan
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder