The era of usernames and passwords is finally over, according to digital infrastructure company Hoyos Labs.
To log on safely to social media or bank accounts, all you need now is yourself, a smartphone and the HoyosID app, which netted the company the Envisioneering Innovation & Design Award at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
This new identity assertion platform for iPhone and Android is free, easy to use and virtually unhackable, according to a news release, and will be available for download later this quarter.
HoyosID uses a multi-biometric recognition system -- including the face, iris and periocular region -- to confirm your identity, with a "liveness" component to distinguish a living person from a photograph or video.
The end-to-end technology moves authentication out of a browser's username and password fields and onto mobile devices at no cost to users.
"People are beginning to realize that we need a better system in place to keep our private material protected, and usernames, passwords and log-ins are, without a doubt, not the solution -- they have failed us all too many times and are so vulnerable to hacks," Hector Hoyos, CEO and founder of Hoyos Labs, said in the release.
The company is "eager to expand the applications of this technology further into the financial services space," he added.
Mr. Hoyos, an inventor who holds numerous patents, also invented the HBOX and EyeSwipe biometrics identity authentication technologies and founded Global Rainmakers (later renamed EyeLock Corp.).
Hoyos Labs has offices in New York, Boston, Bucharest and Beijing. For more information on the company and HoyosID, visit the Hoyos Labs website.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign