Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Because of the relationship between the total solids content and ingestate apparent viscosity, optimal mixing is not achieved only as consequence of the action of fermenter paddles and other stirring devices, but pumping devices also act positively on the way biomasses and manures are mixed. At up to 8% to 10% total solids, the high shear rates provided by centrifugal pumps (better if equipped with rotating knives) cause the manure-biomass mixture to behave like a Newtonian fluid."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "When the total solids percentage of the mixture exceeds this threshold, other pumping systems (lobe pumps as well as screw pumps) can provide adequate pressure to drive the mixture to the fermenter; however, in this case, further conditioning devices need to be considered to act positively on the anaerobic influent condition to improve its microbial degradation."
For more information on this research see: Rheological Properties Of Manure/biomass Mixtures And Pumping Strategies To Improve Ingestate Formulation: A Review. Transactions of the ASABE, 2013;56(5):1905-1920. Transactions of the ASABE can be contacted at: Amer Soc Agricultural & Biological Engineers,
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March