The US Coast Guard says the search is ongoing for the missing crew member aboard the MH-53E when it crashed about 18 miles east of Virginia Beach.
The conditions of the four rescued was not immediately known.
Petty Officer David Weydert said the helicopter was reported down about 11 am local time.
Two Coast Guard vessels responded to the crash site.
The crash is the second US military helicopter accident in as many days.
Four crew members were killed when their Pave Hawk helicopter crashed in Norfolk, England, during a training mission on Tuesday.
The helicopter was taking part in a low-flying exercise when it came down in Cley Next the Sea.
:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.
(c) Sky News 2014
Original headline: US Navy Helicopter Crashes Off Virginia
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists