The US Coast Guard says the search is ongoing for the missing crew member aboard the MH-53E when it crashed about 18 miles east of Virginia Beach.
The conditions of the four rescued was not immediately known.
Petty Officer David Weydert said the helicopter was reported down about 11 am local time.
Two Coast Guard vessels responded to the crash site.
The crash is the second US military helicopter accident in as many days.
Four crew members were killed when their Pave Hawk helicopter crashed in Norfolk, England, during a training mission on Tuesday.
The helicopter was taking part in a low-flying exercise when it came down in Cley Next the Sea.
:: Watch Sky News live on television, on Sky channel 501, Virgin Media channel 602, Freeview channel 82 and Freesat channel 202.
(c) Sky News 2014
Original headline: US Navy Helicopter Crashes Off Virginia
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks