NEWS: MSC Industrial Direct Co. said Wednesday that its fiscal first-quarter net income fell 7 percent as it dealt with acquisition-related costs and higher operating expenses. The company's adjusted profit and revenue topped analysts' estimates, and its share rose in afternoon trading. DETAILS: MSC, which distributes metalworking and maintenance, repair and operations supplies to industrial customers in North America , reported its operating expenses climbed to $218.1 million from $162.7 million . NUMBERS: For the period ended Nov. 30 , MSC earned $59 million , or 93 cents per share. That compares with $63.2 million , or $1 per share, a year ago. Excluding costs related to its acquisition of Barnes Distribution North America and other items, earnings were 99 cents per share. Revenue climbed 18 percent to $678.5 million from $577.5 million , helped by the Barnes Distribution North America acquisition. Analysts surveyed by FactSet expected earnings of 95 cents per share on revenue of $669 million . FUTURE: MSC foresees second-quarter adjusted earnings between 83 cents and 87 cents per share on revenue in a range of $660 million to $672 million . Analysts predict earnings of 92 cents per share on revenue of $671.3 million . STOCK: The shares gained $2.77 , or 3.4 percent, to $84.18 in afternoon trading.
Most Popular Stories
- Diplomatic, Financial Fix Sought for Ukraine Crisis
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits
- Las Vegas Casino Wants 'Blackout Drunk' Gambler to Pony up $500,000
- Florida Insurers Reach Out to Hispanics
- Disney Lays Off 700 From Interactive Unit
- Last Call for Hispanic Health Care Signups
- Staples Closing Stores, Moving Online
- Stocks Get Green Light on Weekly Jobless Claims
- Costco Revenue Up, Profits Down in Q2
- Where Are the World's Most Expensive Cities?