By a News Reporter-Staff News Editor at Life Science Weekly -- Investigators publish new report on Life Science Research . According to news originating from Bergen, Norway , by NewsRx editors, the research stated, "Scolytoplatypodini Blandford is a monotypic tribe of ambrosia beetles found in Asia , Madagascar and Africa . Only three species are currently known from Madagascar and four additional species are here described as new to science." Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research from Natural History Museum , "Phylogenetic analyses of morphological and molecular data revealed that four of the seven endemic species are deeply separated from all other species by genetic and distinct morphological characters and therefore placed in a new genus Remansus Jordal. The split between this ancient lineage and Scolytoplatypus Schaufuss was estimated to approximate Palaeocene age (63 Ma), extending the minimum age of ambrosia feeding for this tribe to the beginning of the Palaeocene-Eocene thermal maximum (PETM). In addition to the ancient origin of Remansus in Madagascar during the Palaeocene, a second origin occurred in Scolytoplatypus no more than 13 Ma." According to the news editors, the research concluded: "A geographical origin of the latter in South-Eastern Africa was unequivocally inferred from the phylogenies." For more information on this research see: Deep phylogenetic divergence between Scolytoplatypus and Remansus, a new genus of Scolytoplatypodini from Madagascar (Coleoptera, Curculionidae, Scolytinae). Zookeys , 2013;(352):9-33. Zookeys can be contacted at: Pensoft Publ, Geo Milev Str 13A, Sofia , 1111, Bulgaria (see also Life Science Research ). The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from B.H. Jordal , Univ Museum Bergen, Nat Hist Museum , NO-5020 Bergen, Norway . Keywords for this news article include: Bergen, Norway , Europe , Life Science Research Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?