The news reporters obtained a quote from the research, "Methods and ResultsEndotoxin lipid A was inactivated by the addition of iron sulfate, which acted on endotoxin directly and strongly inhibited LAL coagulation activity. Size-exclusion, anion-exchange and reverse-phase liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry were used to examine changes in inactivated lipid A in terms of complex formation, negative charge status, hydrophobic interaction and structure. Furthermore, we verified the involvement of the lipid A phosphoryl group in the interference of iron sulfate with lipid A-factor C binding activity. Iron sulfate-inactivated lipid A was cleaved at its glycosidic bond, resulting in loss of hydrophobic interactions and disruption of lipid A complexes without alteration of negative charge status and lipid A-factor C interaction. ConclusionsLipid A cleavage was a direct result of interfering factors, including iron sulfate, which acted on endotoxin directly to disrupt lipid A complexes rather than interfering with LAL coagulation."
According to the news reporters, the research concluded: "Significance and Impact of the StudyOur data provide new insights into the mechanisms of lipid A activity."
For more information on this research see: Iron sulfate inhibits Limulus activity by induction of structural and qualitative changes in lipid A.
Our news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained by contacting Y.
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?