Our news editors obtained a quote from the research, "MethodsFOI images were acquired with the commercially available Xiralite system. Image interpretation was done for an early phase (phase 1), an intermediate phase (phase 2), and a late phase (phase 3), and for an electronically generated composite image. The results were compared with those of clinical examination (960 joints) and contrast (gadolinium)-enhanced 1.5T MRI (382 joints) of the clinically more affected hand. Additionally, we evaluated FOI in a control group of 46 subjects without any signs of inflammatory joint disease (1,380 joints). ResultsWith MRI as the reference method, the sensitivity of FOI was 86% and the specificity was 63%, while the composite image, phase 1, and phase 3 reached high specificities (87%, 90%, and 88%, respectively). The results differed considerably between the composite image and the phases. FOI did not detect inflammation in 11 joint regions that showed palmar tenosynovitis on MRI. Intrareader and interreader agreements were moderate to substantial ( = 0.55-0.73). In the control group, FOI showed positive findings in 5% of normal joints in phase 2. ConclusionFurther multicenter studies will address the question of whether FOI allows sensitive and reliable detection of inflammatory changes in early arthritis, as suggested by our initial findings."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "If this is confirmed, FOI has the potential to be a sensitive and valuable tool for monitoring disease activity on site in clinical settings and for serving as an outcome parameter in clinical trials."
For more information on this research see: Indocyanine Green-Enhanced Fluorescence Optical Imaging in Patients With Early and Very Early Arthritis A Comparative Study With Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 2013;65(12):3036-3044. Arthritis and Rheumatism can be contacted at: Wiley-Blackwell,
The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11