My first-look vibe on the new device is very positive, with the caveat that I haven't had a chance to test out the battery, one of the things
Like its predecessor,
OK, so I wasn't able to swim with the fishes, but I did take the phone in the shower, with no ill effects.
In fact, I was able to navigate the 5-inch Full HD touch-screen while in the warm water, at least when the drops and splashes on the screen let me see what I was doing.
You will have to make sure the USB and microSD connectors are properly sealed, but you don't have to worry about the exposed headphone jack, because it's protected with an inner seal.
The design sticks to recent
Inside is a state-of-the-art
While the phone grabs your attention for being waterproof, it boasts a number of cool camera tricks. One that I like is called "background refocus" -- an effect borrowed,
Another, called "Info-eye," lets you search for information about whatever it is you're shooting. When I took a picture of a wine bottle label, for example, the phone searched for and brought up a rating for the wine, along with suggested foods that might nicely complement what you are drinking.
Shoot a business card, and the captured information can be saved to directly to your contacts. The phone can also search for data on the landmarks, books, QR codes, bar codes and text that you shoot.
I suspect your kids will appreciate the funny or goofy AR (augmented reality) virtual characters you can add to a scene -- surrounding a playful picture of Junior with dinosaurs or butterflies, for example.
As with other smartphones, the
You can also broadcast what's happening via
The phone has a 20.7-megapixel camera and 8X digital zoom.
For now, the Xperia runs Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) rather than the latest KitKat version. An upgrade will presumably happen at some point.
The device will be sold by T-Mobile,
Judging on my first impression, it will definitely be worth considering.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?