In the charts THE Village People with the disco favourite Y.M.C.A. was in the top spot 35 years ago. Other singles doing well were Earth Wind and Fire with September, Elton John with Song For Guy, and Ian Dury And The Blockheads with Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. Chic with Le Freak were heading down. Number 1 album SHOWADDYWADDY'S Greatest Hits was the best seller this week. The colourful eight-piece band, below, hailed from Leicester and specialised in reviving late 50s/early 60s rock and roll hits. Their biggest numbers were the cover versions, Three Steps To Heaven and the 1976 number one Under The Moon Of Love. At the movies THE classic Deer Hunter was a huge hit at the cinema. Starring Robert de Niro and Christopher Walken , the film was an indepth examination of the way the Vietnam war affected the lives of people in a small industrial town in the USA . The movie won five Academy Awards, including best picture. News and sport ? The Music for UNICEF Concert is held at the United Nations General Assembly to raise money for UNICEF and promote the Year of the Child. It featured The Bee Gees, ABBA and Rod Stewart. Vietnam and Vietnam -backed Cambodian insurgents announce the fall of Phnom Penh, Cambodia , and the collapse of the Pol Pot regime.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign