Less than three weeks from being added to the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index and moving to the Nasdaq Global Select Market as its stock price stagnated around
Mixed lineage leukemia, or MLL, is an aggressive cancer stemming from a genetic defect that affects people of all ages and carries a very poor prognosis. The small molecule EPZ-5676 is designed to inhibit DOT1L, a protein that is misregulated because of a genetic rearrangement, leading to increased expression of genes that cause leukemia.
EPZ-5676 is being developed under and Orphan Drug designation from the
"We are very pleased with EPZ-5676's emerging clinical profile and progress as a potential personalized therapeutic for patients with genetically defined acute leukemias," said Dr. Gould. Gould added that the company intends to present more information on the trial at a medical conference later this year.
With the new milestone payments,
The stock price took a pounding in November after outlining initial data from the trial of EPZ-5676 showed no response in non-MLL-r patients and only a 50-percent response MLL-r patients (4 of 8 MLL-r patients responded to the drug). Investors reacted harshly to the information, although it wasn't really that bad with no maximum tolerated dose achieved and no serious side effects observed. As a speculative biotech with a market cap in excess of
Shares of EPZM were trading around
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?