Asian stocks markets fell on Monday China's services industries dropped, signaling growth may slow in the world second-biggest economy. Meanwhile, Nikkei started the first trading day of the year below 16,000 on profit taking. - The MSCI Asia Pacific Index fell 0.8% to 139.23 as of 15:48 in Tokyo In Japan , Nikkei closed near a 2-week low as investors booked profits and as the yen strengthened weighing on exporters. The index resumed trade following last week`s holiday after ending 2013 with a 57% gain. - Nikkei 225 closed 2.35% lower at 15908.88 - Topix closed 0.78% lower at 1292.15 In China , Shanghai fell to its lowest levels since August, after China`s services sector fell to a four-month low in December as business expectations dropped, adding to evidence that the second largest economy lost steam at the end of 2013. - Shanghai Composite closed 1.80% lower at 2045.71 - Hong Kong's Hang Seng closed 0.58% lower at 22684.15 Australia's S&P/ASX 200 saw its biggest one-day drop in three weeks due to lower commodity prices. Also weighing on the index is the rising caution ahead of a raft of local data this week, including trade, retail sales and building figures. - The S&P/ASX 200 closed 0.47% lower at 5324.88 - New Zealand's NZX 50 closed 0.08% lower at 4765.32 In South Korea shares outperformed their Asian peers as the benchmark index rebounded from Friday`s 4-month low due to the pause in the yen`s decline. - Kospi closed 0.37% higher at 1953.28
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?