BANK of England policymakers will gather for their first meeting of the new year this week amid expectations that governor Mark Carney will change the threshold for considering interest rate rises within months. Thursday's decision will see monetary policy held, but comes as economists predict the Bank will soon lower the unemployment target under its forward guidance policy due to strong economic recovery. The Bank has pledged not to look at raising rates above 0.5% until the unemployment rate falls to 7%, at the time predicting this would not be reached until 2016. But unemployment has been falling sharply - down to a lower than expected 7.4% in October - as the recovery gains traction. While the Bank is not expected to make any changes to its forward guidance policy at this week's meeting, it could reduce the unemployment target to 6.5% as soon as next month, according to experts. Alan Clarke of Scotiabank said unemployment was "falling like a stone". He added: "We think that 7% will be hit in the early months of 2014. As a result, the Bank is likely to modify its forward guidance policy - lowering the threshold to 6.5% - most likely at the February inflation report." Brian Hilliard at Societe Generale said the threshold could "easily" be reduced below 6.5%. Despite the Bank's assurances rates will stay low for some time, the recent pace of recovery has led to fears borrowing costs will have to rise soon. Closely-watched survey figures from the manufacturing and construction sectors last week confirmed a strong end to 2014, with both notching up their best quarterly performances for many years.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder