A daily ranking of the world's 300 wealthiest individuals has revealed that the richest people around the globe became even richer in 2013, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, as Bill Gates was named the biggest gainer of the year. Gates' fortune increased by $15.8 billion to $78.5 billion , according to the Index, as shares of Microsoft , the world's largest software maker, rose 40 percent. He recaptured the title of world's richest person on May 16 from Mexican investor Carlos Slim . The ranking showed that $524 billion was added to the world's top billionaires' collective net worth. According to the Index, the aggregate net worth of the world's top billionaires stood at $3.7 trillion at the market close on Dec. 31 . The technology industry saw the biggest gains as it soared 28 percent in 2013. John Catsimatidis , the billionaire founder of real estate and energy conglomerate Red Apple Group Inc. , said in a phone interview with Bloomberg , that "the rich will keep getting richer in 2014," as "interest rates will remain low, equity markets will keep rising, and the economy will grow at less than two percent."
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign