TOKYO , Jan. 6 -- ( Kyodo ) _ Tokyo stocks fell sharply Monday morning, the first trading day of 2014, with the Nikkei losing more than 400 points at one stage, as investors cashed in on recent gains after the Nikkei index soared for the ninth consecutive market day. The 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average fell 355.28 points, or 2.18 percent, from Dec. 30 to 15,936.03. The broader Topix index of all First Section issues on the Tokyo Stock Exchange was down 13.45 points, or 1.03 percent, at 1,288.84. Most sectors fell, with shares of mining, marine transport and rubber companies among the major decliners.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?