Ian Ziering and Tara Reid are to star in the New York-set sequel to their cult classic TV movie, "Sharknado," Syfy announced Friday.
Ziering and Reid will reprise their roles as reunited former spouses Fin and April in "Sharknado 2: The Second One," which is to begin filming next month.
Directed by Anthony Ferrante, the movie is scheduled to premiere in July on Syfy.
"'Sharknado' was an extraordinary 'perfect storm' which captured the attention of movie fans across the globe. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing about 'Sharknado!' By reassembling the creative team -- and dropping sharks onto New York's iconic sites -- we're unleashing yet another 'fin' wave of shark-mania," Thomas Vitale, executive vice president of programming and original movies, said in a statement.
"We're thrilled to be able to bring back the talent that made 'Sharknado' a hit. Can lightning strike twice?" said Paul Bales, chief operating officer of the film production company Asylum. "I don't know, but it's a scientific fact that you're more likely to be killed by lightning than by a shark. This film will have lightning and sharks, so that's got to count for something."
Copyright 2014 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Tara Reid, Ian Ziering to return for 'Sharknado 2'
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays