Contact: Jim Jeffries (Alexander), (202) 224-8816 Alexandra Sollberger (Kline), (202) 226-9440 Alexander, Kline Statement on Student Loan Interest Rate Report Leaders praise the Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act as right solution to student loan interest rates WASHINGTON , Jan. 31 - U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the senior Republican on the Senate education committee, and House Education and the Workforce Committee Chairman John Kline (R-Minn.) issued the following joint statement after the Government Accountability Office (GAO) released a report on federal student loan interest rates: "Today's GAO report makes it clear that Congress was exactly right to tie student loan interest rates to market rates, because that is the fairest way to ensure the loans don't overcharge either students or taxpayers. The Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act cut interest rates for undergraduate loans nearly in half and made all student loans cheaper, simpler and more certain." The Bipartisan Student Loan Certainty Act (also known as the Smarter Solutions for Students Act) included a provision directing the GAO to provide information on issues related to the cost of federal student loans. Specifically, the report was intended to help members of Congress determine whether there was an ideal federal student loan interest rate that would ensure the government could cover Direct Loan costs without generating excess revenue. To read the full report, entitled "Borrower Interest Rates Cannot Be Set in Advance to Precisely and Consistently Balance Federal Revenues and Costs," go to: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-234 .
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Natural Gas Discovery Could Lead to Cleaner Fuels