The four-month trial, conducted as part of the
TVWS uses unlicensed, high-performance frequencies to enable the transmission of Internet traffic wirelessly over long distances. Although it remains in early stages of experimentation, TVWS technology is gaining attention as a possible solution for filling in broadband availability gaps - and in some cases serving as an alternative to existing broadband networks.
BCoE, established in
BCoE Executive Director
"The BCoE is meant to be a global center of excellence and to empower every citizen of the world to have access to basic broadband while pushing for gigabit broadband connectivity as a minimum requirement," Yassini said. "We are committed to fostering a collaborative atmosphere as we seek to guide programs toward opportunities in the broadband industry."
UNH BCoE will hold an annual conference to share findings.
What is Broadband?
Broadband, as defined by the
Yassini is widely known as the father of the cable modem for his pioneering work at LANcity, an early cable modem manufacturer. Following his stint as CEO at LANcity, Yassini led a team that created the global standard for the delivery of high-speed Internet services over cable modems.
The vast majority of households in
But broadband has become a necessity. It seems to touch every aspect of our lives and work, whether it's entertainment, social networking, emergency response, health care, energy management, or homeland security. Some see its value as equivalent to the introduction of electricity in the late 19th century.
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140130-4620137 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter
- Hollywood Bets Big Again on Summer Movies
- Nestle, Superior Grocers Promote Healthy Meals
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Bernanke Wishes He'd Explained the Crisis Better