Def Jam Recordings, the label credited with launching rap music from an underground phenomenon to a worldwide movement is celebrating 30 years.
Def Jam, a subgroup of Universal Music Group, founded by Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons, will be hosting celebrations of the label all year long, according to a press release.
To get in on the celebration, log onto your social media accounts and use the hashtag: #DefJam30. Corresponding albums, events, films and more will be revealed in the weeks ahead via social media and the Def Jam 30 website.
"It's hard to believe it was 30 years ago when we first put the Def Jam logo on a hip-hop recording at an NYU dormitory," founders Rubin and Russell said in a joint statement. "Since that time we have seen this homegrown American music grow from a local underground scene to a worldwide phenomenon. Today Def Jam remains the gold standard for taste, culture, and revolutionary thought. To quote the Chuck D line: 'Def Jam tells you who I am.'"
Hip-hop artists belonging to the groundbreaking label include LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Rihanna, Public Enemy and Jay-Z. Newer artists include Frank Ocean Big Sean, Jhene Aiko and 2 Chainz.
Enjoy this compilation of videos featuring Def Jam artists:
LL Cool J live at the 1987 Def Jam Tour Part 1:
Beastie Boys, "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party)":
Public Enemy: "Fight the Power:"
Rihanna, "Man Down:"
www.defjam30.com SOURCE Def Jam Recordings
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers