YORK, Pa. , Jan. 28 -- York County issued the following news: For the 22th consecutive year, York County has earned an award recognizing the excellence of its financial reporting. The York County Controller's Office ( http://yorkcountypa.gov/county-administration/row-officers/the-controller.html ) was recently notified that the county has been awarded the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting by the nonprofit Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA ( http://www.gfoa.org/ )). This award was presented to Controller Robb Green , on behalf of the county, for the quality of the county's 2012 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). "The receipt of this award for 22 consecutive years underscores our continuing commitment to accurate, comprehensive and transparent accounting," Green said. "Our goal is to ensure that the community, along with investors and credit-rating agencies, get a complete picture of the county's strong financial position." The comprehensive annual financial report outlines actual expenses and revenues in a given year, and provides an accounting of a government agency's assets and liabilities. It provides information used by investment companies and rating agencies to determine the county's financial integrity and set bond rates. Based on the strength of the county's financial position, Standard & Poor's in 2010 upgraded the county's credit rating to AA from AA-. The improvement reduces borrowing costs when the county issues bonds for capital improvements or other projects. This certificate awarded by GFOA is the "highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting, and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management," according to the organization. York County earned the award by meeting the high standards of the GFOA's program, including demonstrating a "spirit of full disclosure" in communicating its financial story, according to GFOA. CC AutoTriage9as-140129-30Furigayjane-4617850 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict