Iranian researchers from the
Thermal coatings play an important role in protecting pieces that operate at very high temperatures,
When these coatings are used, the working temperature of the turbine may increase due to their small thermal conductivity and the ability to stabilize on thermal slopes. This helps achieve higher thermodynamic efficiency and lower pollution.
In this research, the optimization of spray condition was chosen as the main objective. The researchers produced a coating of a very high quality by designing and optimizing various parameters of spraying.
Sub-layers made of nickel-based super-alloy (Inconel 738LC) were chosen in this research. The reason for the selection was simulation at industrial level, such that the alloy is used in the production of turbine blades.
In this research, the values of adhesive strength were calculated to be 24.6 and 38.12 MPa for conventional yttria stabilized zirconia (YSZ) thermal coatings and plasma-sprayed nanostructure, respectively.
However, the bonding strength of plasma-sprayed ceramics on metallic sub-layers has been reported to be 15-25 MPa. Therefore, adhesive strength calculated for the two coatings have been very desirable, especially for the nanostructured coating. It shows the correct selection of parameters in plasma-spraying process.
The plan has applications in power plants, petroleum and gas industries, automobile manufacturing, steam turbines, heat exchangers, boilers, gas turbines and the coating of all pieces that operate at high temperatures.
Superior thermal coatings produced
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu