ENP Newswire -
Release date- 24012014 -
The spacecraft provides the power and communications for the whole observatory and is responsible for pointing the telescope and image stabilization.
An independent panel of experts conducted a rigorous, weeklong review of the detailed design, construction and testing plans, and flight software for the Webb Telescope's spacecraft. The CDR included extensive discussions on all aspects of the spacecraft to ensure construction of a vehicle that will enable the powerful telescope and science instruments to deliver astonishing views of the universe. The team successfully completed more than 76 preceding reviews on the spacecraft subsystems to prepare for this CDR.
'Our Northrop Grumman team did an incredibly thorough job preparing for this design review and demonstrated impressive knowledge of Webb's subsystems,' said
The completed mirrors arrived at
The James Webb Space Telescope is the world's next-generation space observatory and successor to the Hubble Space Telescope. The most powerful space telescope ever built, the Webb Telescope will observe the most distant objects in the universe, provide images of the first galaxies formed and see unexplored planets around distant stars. The Webb Telescope is a joint project of
Most Popular Stories
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- China's Money Rate Drops on Slowdown Concern
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Mt. Gox Files for Bankruptcy in U.S.
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference