The increase was primarily driven by low-cost devices taking hold in emerging markets,
The total of around 1,004.2 million units shipped is about double 2011's figure. Smartphones accounted for 55.1 percent of all mobile phone shipments in 2013, up from the year-before share of 41.7 percent to top the 50 percent line for the first time.
The October-December quarter of 2013 saw the shipment of 284.4 million units worldwide, up 24.2 percent from the same quarter in 2012.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- FedEx Sued Over Deadly California Bus Crash
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power