The increase was primarily driven by low-cost devices taking hold in emerging markets,
The total of around 1,004.2 million units shipped is about double 2011's figure. Smartphones accounted for 55.1 percent of all mobile phone shipments in 2013, up from the year-before share of 41.7 percent to top the 50 percent line for the first time.
The October-December quarter of 2013 saw the shipment of 284.4 million units worldwide, up 24.2 percent from the same quarter in 2012.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction