BOROUGE is a leading provider of innovative, value creating plastics solutions. A joint venture between the
Borouge has its headquarters in the
Building on Borealis' unique Borstar technology and experience in polyolefins for more than 50 years, Borouge provides innovative, value creating plastics solutions for the infrastructure (pipe systems, and power and communication cables), automotive and advanced packaging markets.
In 2010, Borouge tripled the annual production capacity of its plant in Abu Dhabi to 2 million tonnes, and with further expansion to 4.5 million tonnes in 2014, Borouge and Borealis will have a combined annual production capacity of approximately 8 million tonnes of polyethylene and polypropylene. With this expansion, Borouge will create the world's largest integrated polyolefins plant.
The two companies continue to invest to ensure that their customers throughout the value chain, around the world, can always rely on superior products and security of supply.
The project involved an upgrade from old Logic Manager System to FSC Blue system. The upgrade solved the issue of Logic Manager obsolescence and support at the Borouge PE1 plant. The newly installed FSC Blue system will increase plant safety. FSC is a proven safety system for more than 20 years for different oil and gas customers all over the world.
Borouge engineers are therefore well-acquainted with all aspects of
FSC Blue is also compatible with the existing Honeywell TPS system installed at the Borouge PE1 plant.
The main challenge was that the existing Logic Managers were obsolete. Spares were difficult to obtain, and there were very few skilled resources available to support these products.
An additional challenge was the tight schedule, with only a small and fixed shutdown window available, during which the Logic Managers could be replaced with the FSC Blue system.
It helped that the customer had confidence in
Logic Manager upgrade at Abu Dhabi Polymers Borouge Polyethylene Plant 2.
• Three redundant FSC Blue systems with non-redundant FSC Blue I/O's and two system extension cabinets;
• Engineering and configuration;
• Conversion of Logic Manager Ladder logic to Functional Logic Diagrams in the FSC Blue system;
• Modification of related graphics and reports;
• Factory acceptance test;
• Supervision of site installation activities; and
• Commissioning and site acceptance test
Key to the success of the project was the detailed site schedule plan, which ensured a smooth upgrade of the system within the fixed shutdown window. The
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security