Revenue rose 14 percent to a record
Ballmer, who has said he would retire by August, has kicked off
"They continue to defy the sceptics,"
"This company is outpacing every other large-cap enterprise company by miles. They're doing the right things. The last part of this is you have to get the right head coach."
Net income in the second quarter rose 2.8 percent to
Unearned revenue, which comes from sales of multi-year deals that will be recognised in the future, was
Sales of commercial cloud programs like Azure and Office 365 more than doubled from the year-earlier quarter and the company sold twice as many Surface tablets as it did in the fiscal first quarter, according to chief financial officer
"We exceeded expectations in both the commercial unit and the devices and consumer segment and we saw improvement in areas where frankly we needed to get better," Hood said, citing Surface and tablets as examples.
The PC market was stabilising, she said, with corporate shipments rising for the third consecutive quarter and consumer PCs performing better than
Most investors were more focused on the search for a chief executive than results, said
The list included
Five months have passed since Ballmer said he would retire within a year, and the new chief executive will be stepping in at a crucial point as
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?