Caterpillar posted a stronger-thanexpected quarterly profit yesterday as cost cuts and an uptick in demand for its building equipment offset continued weak sales to the mining industry. It expects constructionequipment sales, which jumped 20 per cent in the most recent quarter, to rise another five per cent in the coming year. The firm reported fourth-quarter profit of $1bn , or $1.54 a share, up from $697m , or $1.04 a share, in the same period of 2012.
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Grand Jury Seated in Rick Perry Ethics Case
- The 420 on the Hemp Products Giveaway
- Five Secrets for Keeping a Job
- Alfonso Wins Executive of the Year Award
- Study: Casual Marijuana Use May Cause Brain Changes
- U.S. Homebuilder Confidence Edged Up in April
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter
- U.S. Highway Fund Nearly Broke, Jeopardizing Jobs
- Miami Attorney Being Honored for Charity Work