Caterpillar posted a stronger-thanexpected quarterly profit yesterday as cost cuts and an uptick in demand for its building equipment offset continued weak sales to the mining industry. It expects constructionequipment sales, which jumped 20 per cent in the most recent quarter, to rise another five per cent in the coming year. The firm reported fourth-quarter profit of $1bn , or $1.54 a share, up from $697m , or $1.04 a share, in the same period of 2012.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- Florida Insurers Reach Out to Hispanics
- Where Are the World's Most Expensive Cities?
- BP Tripled CEO's Pay Despite Deepwater Horizon
- House OKs $1 Billion for Ukraine
- EU Breaks Off Talks With Russia
- Putin Gets Thumbs-up From Assad
- Nakamoto 'No Longer Involved' in Bitcoin
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits
- Cuba Accepts Invite for Talks With EU