The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development , European Union and World Bank are putting together a financing package for a radical modernization of Talas city's water and wastewater services. The EBRD is providing a loan of up to €2 million. The EU's Investment Facility for Central Asia is providing a capital grant of €1.85 million, which is the first allocation to the Kyrgyz Republic under the facility. And the World Bank Global Environmental Facility's Special Climate Change Fund is providing a capital grant of US$ 1.5 million (€1.15 million). In addition the local municipal water company will also receive technical cooperation funding from the Czech Republic , Finland , and the EU. "As do many other areas in Central Asia , Talas has abundant sources of water. Its challenge is to ensure that clean and safe water reaches people and to restore wastewater management. The project we are supporting is going to greatly improve people's lives", said Larisa Manastirli, Head of the EBRD Bishkek Resident Office. "These investments are very important for the Talas city and will have very positive effect on social and economic development of our population", said the Mayor of Talas city, Anarbek Kushubekov. The modernization of water and wastewater services in Kyrgyz cities is a priority for the EBRD, which has developed a dedicated financing facility for the purpose. At present the EBRD has provided financing to six cities in the country to support critical investments in the water supply and waste water networks and is considering further expansion throughout the country to smaller cities.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Chevrolet's Small SUV Coming to the U.S.
- Yahoo Struggles Despite Alibaba Boost
- Is This Job Too Good to Be True?
- Rapper Cuts Off Own Penis, Jumps Off Building in Failed Suicide
- Neil Young Closes Kickstarter Campaign for PonoMusic
- Castro Named as a Caress Fabulista