The TDRS-L rocket blasted off on
For the next 11 days it will adjust into its definitive geostationary orbit.
the agency said, the fleet of satellites has "revolutionized communications" for
The first TDRS satellite was launched in 1983.
Before then, communications to space were spotty and based on a small amount of ground stations worldwide, which left many gaps.
Now, the network of TDRS satellites combines to convey near-continuous signals, commands and information from ground controllers to the
Most Popular Stories
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- China's Money Rate Drops on Slowdown Concern
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Mt. Gox Files for Bankruptcy in U.S.
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- '300' Sequel Conquers Box Office Foes
- Sbarro Files for Bankruptcy Again