A lady lawmaker has asked the
In House Resolution 399, Rep.
Garin said research on the application of biotechnology on crop production started in the 1980s. Under the resolution, biotechnology refers to any process that uses living organisms to make or modify products or to improve and develop plants, animals or microorganisms for a specific use.
Garin said several executive orders have been enacted and policy statement and administrative orders have been issued for the promotion of safe and responsible use of modern biotechnology, which has the potential to contribute to agricultural productivity and food security.
"Executive Order No. 430 was enacted in 1990 for the creation of the
Garin further said then President and now Pampanga Rep.
Garin added that in 2002, the
"With regard to the importation and release of genetically modified plants, AO 8 mandates the
She said at present, the NCBP and BPI-regulated experimentations and field testing are being conducted by State universities like the
Garin said non-government, environmental organizations and some local government units have continued to pose strong opposition to the field testing by State universities and private research and development institutions and to the eventual commercialization of genetically modified crops citing biosafety.
Garin said it is imperative for the
"These agencies should also disclose pertinent information and findings of experimentations, field testing, and research conducted to provide a credible and scientific grounding for the introduction of genetically-modified crops to the environment and its consumption," Garin said.
CC AutoTriage1pm-140125-30TagarumaMar-4613897 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time