Only one week remains until the beginning of mandatory 10-digit dialing for local calls in area code 270.
"By now, resident s and businesses in area code 270 should be aware of this change and be prepared for it,"
Mandatory 10-digit dialing (dialing the area code as well as the seven - digit local number) for local calls begins
Area code 364 was created in
All current area code 270 number will stay the same when the new area code goes into effect ," Armstrong said. "It is just the dialing pattern that is changing."
The overlay option is the least disruptive for all customers and imposes the smallest cost on businesses in the area, the PSC said in its order creating area code 364. This is the first area code in
Dialing 1 for local calls is not necessary now and will not be necessary after
Area code overlays have become the preferred method for creating new area codes nationwide. They pose the fewest technical issues for telecommunications providers.
The first numbers using area code 364 may be assigned beginning
Even when area code 364 goes into use, the vast majority of residential and business phone numbers in the area will continue to use area code 270. Only some new customers and those who wish to s witch to the new area code will have 364 numbers.
Service providers in area code 270 are required by the PSC to educate their customers about the changes resulting from the new area code. All records in the area code case are available on the PSC website, psc.ky.gov. The case number is 2012-00129.
The PSC is an independent agency attached for administrative purposes to the Energy and Environment Cabinet. It regulates more than 1,500 gas, water, sewer, electric and telecommunication utilities operating in
CC 24CCPandaSan-140125-4613584 24CCPandaSan
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study