Iranian researchers have produced nanostructured lipid carriers as beta-carotene carrier.
The nanostructure protects beta-carotene against degradation and modifies its absorption in the body,
Solid lipid nanoparticles and nanostructured lipid carriers were used for the first time in pharmaceutical industries as a novel drug delivery system. The system possesses many advantages such as higher protection, controlled release and easier absorption, because of which they have attracted the attention of researchers.
In this research, nanostructured lipid carriers containing beta-carotene were produced through solvent diffusion and the effects of various parameters of liquid oil concentration in oily phase, concentration of the active area and the temperature of aqueous phase on the size of particles and stability of beta-carotene were investigated through response surface methodology (RSM).
Common systems used as beta-carotene carrier in aqueous media in food industries cause turbid color due to the presence of particles at micrometric scale. However, nanostructured lipid carriers containing beta-carotene create a transparent color because their particle sizes are about 10 nm and they do not reflect light when used in aqueous media.
The plan has direct application in food industries and can be used in pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
Beta-carotene is a bioactive material required by human body as the main source of vitamin A. It is also an antioxidant that reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases and some types of cancers. The substance is also used in industrial paint
Nanocarriers used for beta-carotene enrichment
Most Popular Stories
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver