| ISTANBUL , Jan 24 (KUNA) -- The Turkish lira continued its severe drop down against both the US dollar and the euro on Friday as a result of the corruption and bribery scandal which hit the Turkish government last December. The US dollar and euro against the lira, on the other hand, continued to rise, with the dollar reaching 2,2935 lira and the euro at 3,139 lira , according to Turkish media. Investors are anxious over the unstable political situation in Turkey , especially with the continuous rise of the two most important currencies in the world after the US Federal Reserve had reduced the volume of injected dollars in the markets. The countrys widespread corruption scandal has involved dozens of high profile individuals, including Bilal Erdogan , son of the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, three government ministers' sons, prominent businessmen, the head of a state bank, and a number of politicians. Among the allegations police are investigating are bribery, gold smuggling to Iran and money laundering. (end) ta.nsa.ag KUNA 241507 Jan 14NNNN All KUNA right are reserved
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?