Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona's Maricopa County said inmates who defaced American flags in their cells will be fed only bread and water for a week.
The flags were placed in cells in November in a patriotism campaign by the sheriff, who accused some inmates of "tearing them, writing on them, stepping on them, throwing them in the toilet, trash or wherever they feel. It's a disgrace," CNN reported.
In addition to the display of flags, the "Star Spangled Banner" is played over the jail intercom each morning and every evening inmates hear "God Bless America," the report said.
The flags were put in cells after Arpaio announced he would hire more veterans.
He says more than 600 male and female veterans work for the sheriff's department, which manages 8,000 inmates.
Copyright 2014 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Ariz. sheriff: Inmates who defaced flags to get only bread and water
Most Popular Stories
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Downside of Low Mortgage Rates: Less Selling
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- House Votes to Make Bonus Depreciation Permanent
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- Wells Fargo Profit Up, Revenue Down
- Liverpool Sells Luis Suarez to Barcelona